In my few
days in Venice so far, I’ve noticed that while all of the Venetians seem to
enjoy life, none of them enjoy it quite so much as their four-legged
companions. With the number of dogs I see out with their owners, I am convinced
that owning a dog must be a prerequisite for being a real Venetian. The dogs of
Venice are living the good life. In fact, if I were a dog, I don’t think I
could imagine a better place to call home.
Venice belongs to the dogs. They
can be found just about everywhere: you see them out for walks, in cafés while
their owners have an espresso, and even on vaporetti. They enjoy the company of
the rest of the many dogs of Venice, occasionally needing an “andiamo” from
their owners when they socialize for a bit too long. Although they seemed not
to come in a pack of seven, something about the attitudes of these dogs was
reminiscent of those in the movie Moonstruck in my opinion, and sometimes, I
can’t help but hear that peppy song that always goes with the appearance of the
dogs in the movie.
This high density of dogs seems to
make for a different culture towards them than anything I’ve experienced
before. Before going to Venice, the idea of bringing a dog into a restaurant
was not only something I’d never consider doing, but also something I might not
have believed to happen anywhere. I’m
not sure that it is explicitly against the rules to bring pets on public
transportation, but it’s certainly something I just don’t see done. Really, the
only two places it seems completely acceptable to have a dog is in your own
house and outside. Anywhere else would seem a little off, if not somewhat
illegal. Many pet owners in the United States might say they think of their
pets as just strange looking humans, but the Venetians take it a step further.
It seems like their society as a whole has accepted this idea. A “No Dogs” sign
seems to be something you simply don’t see in Venice.
I’d like to credit this difference
to a fundamental difference in what Venetians and Americans as a whole value.
Americans follow the rules. They stop at traffic lights even if there isn’t
another car within a twenty mile radius, they generally treat “Keep out” signs
practically as a tangible boundary they physically cannot cross, and they
certainly don’t bring their dogs into Starbucks with them in the morning for a
coffee. I don’t think this is really the case with the Italians. It seems to me
that rules are accepted only as suggestions in Italian society. Italians seem
to more do what makes sense to them. There’s probably health codes that would
strongly discourage the presence of dogs in places where people eat, but by
Italian logic, an espresso needs to be had before work and the dog needs to be
taken out, so why wouldn’t one combine the two? I very much appreciate this
attitude.
No comments:
Post a Comment